OMED Tutors are the driving force behind our broad Academic Support resources. We are looking for highly motivated graduate and undergraduate students with a desire to positively impact their academic community and Georgia Tech in general.
OMED General Tutors (or Study Session facilitators) work predefined hours each week, either in the Clough Commons room 278 or in the Chapin building (681 cherry Street Atlanta Ga 30332).
Job Title: Tutor
Reports To: Jarrad Reddick– Academic Support Manager
Functions: To assist Georgia Tech students maximize their academic potential via supplemental instruction and topic-based coaching.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide academic support to Georgia Tech students on a walk-in and/or appointment basis.
• Facilitate guided group study sessions and topic-specific review sessions (Concept Classes) per student demand.
• Understand, respect and foster student adherence to the Georgia Tech Honor Code.
• Stay abreast of the topics currently being taught in the courses for which you will tutor. This will require periodic visits to class (with permission) and to professors’ office hours.
• Assist in the development of academic resources and tools including, but not limited to, the OMED Video Library and Concept Class supplemental material.
• Market OMED programs and Academic Support services. Periodic reviews of each tutor’s utilization (based on student sign-in) will be conducted. Tutors will be responsible maintaining high levels of student traffic as well as positive student feedback.
• Complete required documentation as needed by OMED staff including, but not limited to, biweekly time-sheets. Failure to sign time-sheet by the end of the work period will result in a forfeiture of any hours worked during that period.
• Upon leaving ensure that the area used is cleaned and all equipment stored properly. Tutors will be responsible for wiping down tables, disposing of trash, cleaning surrounding space, and other areas as needed.
• Assist with other OMED office functions as needed.
(exceptions only in rare cases):
Must be a Georgia Tech student with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 having completed at least two full semesters.
Must have earned at least a ‘B’ in the course(s) to be tutored.
Must have an ability to speak in front of groups and present academic workshops.
Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends.
Must pass a written/oral examination in the subject area to be tutored as well as an interview with one or more of the OMED staff.
Must understand and be in full support of the OMED mission.
Must have initiative and a strong desire to assist his/her fellow classmates academically.
Must be pleasant, enthusiastic, and have a genuine concern for other student’s success as well as the success of the OMED Programs.