Edge is a year-long peer mentoring program designed to support incoming students – both freshmen and transfers – during their first year at Georgia Tech. Incoming students are paired with a successful upperclassman, or Edge Leader, who serves as a peer mentor and offers support to help new students acclimate academically and socially during their first year.
This program is designed as an in-depth supplemental mentoring program that targets the Institute’s underrepresented populations (African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, and Multiracial).
Edge introduces incoming students to available resources on campus, establishes a network base with returning students, and aids them in achieving their academic goals. The most important component of the program is connecting incoming students to trained, qualified, and successful Edge Leaders. Qualified students are invited to apply, and the application deadline is March 24, 2017.
Job Title: Edge Leader
Reports To: Denise Ocasio, M.Ed., Assistant Director – Retention Initiatives
- To become a role model and a source of information for students.
- To assist new students in meeting all academic goals deemed necessary by Georgia Tech, OMED, and each student jointly.
- To positively impact the student’s performance financially, socially, and other areas necessary for success at Georgia Tech.
- To assist OMED staff in regular office duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide new incoming students with accurate information about academics and the environment at Georgia Tech.
- Maintain weekly contact with the students assigned to their team.
- Be familiar with the individual student’s situations in their team to assist them properly.
- Attend all meetings and activities by the supervising Assistant Director.
- Be knowledgeable and adhere to Georgia Tech and OMED policies and procedures.
- Assist in the coordination, planning, and execution of Edge programs and events.
- Monitor student development and report all occurrences in students’ lives that you deem an emergency situation to the appropriate to OMED staff member.
- Carry out tasks as outlined by the supervising OMED staff member within the given time period.
- Maintain continuous communication with the Assistant Director.
- Must be at least a sophomore with a minimum GPA of 2.8 at the end of the most recently completed semester and make a commitment to earn a semester GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Must be able to commit to both fall and spring semesters.
- Must be familiar with the different departments on campus.
- Must be familiar with Georgia Tech’s Honor Code.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or peer mentoring experience.
- Must be an outgoing and sociable student, creative, success-oriented, strong initiative and desire to assist fellow classmates, enthusiastic, able to function in a TEAM environment, and able to apply full attention on the job during duty hours.
The starting student salaries for OMED are:
- $8.50/hour for sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- $10.00/hour for federal work study
- 10 hours/week (flexible schedule)
For more information on the Edge program, click here.