OMED: Educational Services welcomes students with a passion for supporting student success at Georgia Tech to serve as Challenge Counselors for the 2017 program. Challenge will be held from June 24, 2017 to July 28, 2017.
Challenge is OMED’s signature academic preparation program. It is a five-week intensive program that is held every summer for incoming freshmen. In Challenge, students are immersed in the Georgia Tech environment; they live in a freshman dorm, take classes provided by Georgia Tech professors, and participate in social and academic workshops provided by upperclassmen.
Challenge Counselors are a significant part of the Challenge program. Challenge Counselors reside in the dorms with Challenge participants. Challenge Counselors serve as role models, peer mentors, and campus success coaches to incoming freshmen and assistants to OMED staff throughout the five-week intensive summer program. Qualified students are invited to apply.
Job Title: Challenge Counselor
Reports To: Sybrina Atwaters, Ph.D., Assistant Director, Outreach Initiatives
- To serve as a role model and a source of information for all Challenge participants.
- To assist these students in meeting all academic goals deemed necessary by Georgia Tech, OMED, and each student jointly (including financial, social, and other goals that positively impact the student’s performance).
- To assist OMED in gathering and disseminating information.
- To assist OMED staff in regular office duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must maintain student confidentiality.
- Must be available and accessible to OMED and Challenge’s full responsibilities from May 8, 2017 to August 1, 2017.
- Make a commitment to earn a semester GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Provide perspective and matriculating Georgia Tech freshmen with accurate and vital information about academics and the Georgia Tech environment and experience.
- Must be familiar with Georgia Tech’s Academic Honor Code.
- Attend all meetings designed by the supervising OMED staff member.
- Be knowledgeable of individual student situations in order to assist in the proper coaching of students (each coach is at the least responsible for the specific freshmen students that are assigned to him/her).
- Be knowledgeable of all Georgia Tech and OMED policies and procedures (general in nature).
- Assist in the coordination, planning, and execution of all OMED program events.
- Monitor student development and report all occurrences in students’ lives that you deem an emergency situation to the appropriate OMED staff member.
- Carry out tasks as outlined by the supervising OMED staff member within the given time period.
- Maintain continuous communication with the OMED partnership.
- Adhere to the training and the policies of OMED’s program.
- Must have at least a 2.8 GPA at the end of fall semester 2016.
- Must be an enrolled student at the Atlanta campus.
- Must be student success-oriented.
- Must have initiative and a strong desire to assist his/her fellow classmates academically.
- Must be pleasant, enthusiastic, and have a genuine concern for other student’s success as well as the success of OMED and the Challenge and Edge programs.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or peer mentoring experience.
- Must be able to function in a TEAM environment assuming various roles.
- Must be able to apply your full attention on the job during duty hours.
- Housing for the summer semester 2017
- $2,000 stipend for summer (paid bi-weekly over the employment period)
- Daily and evening hours, as well as weekend hours
For more information on the Challenge program, click here.